Turn It Off to Save Money

An image of a typical Australian light switch.Image via WikipediaI know this may sound like a really BASIC tip. But here's the thing. Turning stuff off is habit. And many of us are not IN this habit.

I remember a number of years back when my grandparents were staying with my newly-wed husband and I. We had some friends over after a street function in our local town. My grandparents were sitting at the dining room table while we were in the lounge. The two rooms were adjoined and while they had sliding doors between them, these were mostly left open.

At one point my grandparents left the room, turning off every single light switch along the way. We were left with just the light in the lounge room and surrounding darkness. It was an odd feeling to us to be sitting in such darkness with only a light on in the room we were using.

We had a little bit of a giggle, figuring they were headed off to bed. We even wondered if that was a hint that they were ready for our friends to leave.

A couple of minutes later they walked back through the room and turned on the lights again.

It was the oddest experience my husband and I had encountered. Why turn the lights off when you're coming back in less than 5 minutes time?

Simply because it was a habit. A lifetime habit than when you left a room, you turned the light off.

It sounds like a basic tip, but developing a habit like this can add up to MULTIPLE savings over a lifetime.

Go on, turn it off and save yourself money.

No comments: